Forum

What Do You Wish You Could Tell Your Younger Self?

Forum What I Wish I Knew (Questions and Advice Forum) What Do You Wish You Could Tell Your Younger Self?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Karin Hitselberger 8 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hey everyone! As you may know, March is CP Awareness Month, and March 25 is CP Awareness Day! With that in mind, I thought it be interesting to think about what we wish we knew about CP growing up.

I know for me I wish that I understood at a younger age, that while CP might have made me different from other people, it didn’t make me less than them, and it was nothing to be ashamed of. I’m definitely proud of who I am today, and I’ve had a lot of cool experiences, and met a lot of amazing friends through my disability community, but when I was a kid, the only thing I wanted was for people to stop staring!!

If I could go back and tell my 10-year-old self anything, I would probably look at her and say,

“Dude, listen. I know it sucks now, I know you’re embarrassed of your braces, and you wish you could do things the same way your sister does, but trust me, it’s going to be okay! You’re gonna learn to be super proud of who you are. You’re going to learn disability history, and realize that you come from a long line of super cool people who fight for what they believe in! You’re going to go to Colorado, Minnesota, and most ridiculously of all England. You’re going to meet someone who loves you because of who you are, not in spite of it! You will meet people who, “get it” and they will be some of your best friends, not because they also have disabilities, but because they have the same passion for changing the world that you do.

I won’t lie to you kid, there will be some tough times, but I promise you if you stick it out you will be super proud and amazed at the life you have, I know you don’t believe me now, but you will be happy to be exactly who you are. I know this can be difficult to believe sometimes, but I swear, I promise, it will be okay, and you? Well you’ll be better than okay!”

Okay, so that was a pretty long response, sorry about that!

But I really want to know:

If you could give advice to a young kid with your disability, or go back and give advice to your younger self what would you say?

What do you wish you knew at age 7, 10, 15, 21, 25, or whatever age, that you know now?

If you could tell someone younger than you going to the same things you went through one thing, what would it be?

In honor of CP awareness, what is one thing you wish you were aware of growing up with CP?

Is there anything you want to know now?

If you could ask one question of your older self, what would it be?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.